As the landscape evolves in the area of cyber threats, so too must the approach to cyber security. The danger isn’t subsiding. In fact, it is increasing at a rapid rate and many organizations have felt the impact of how a security breach can affect their business.
For well-established companies that came up before the internet was the foundation of business and before cybercrimes were the norm, the approach to cyber security is a bottom-up situation where everything has to be modified to ensure safety.
Security Tips That Work
Your organization needs to have the right training, or your cyber security technology will not be effective. Here are some key areas to focus on in employee training:
- Your employees need to know what data is sensitive, and that it should never go on a mobile device.
- Your employees should never to leave a device unattended — this should be something your security auditors look for constantly.
- When software isn’t updated, it’s vulnerable to attack, so train all your workers to either update their software or notify IT if it’s due for an update.
- Remind employees that links in emails shouldn’t be clicked, even if they look like they’re from a familiar person. This is where a large percentage of cybercriminals are gaining entry into systems.
- Password management must be another constant in your organization. All passwords must be strong and changed frequently, as this is another area of vulnerability.
- By segmenting your networks, you can rule out single points of failure. Also, when you configure, control and patch, you can reduce areas that are normally vulnerable to attack.
- Network Behavior Anomaly Detection (NBAD) is your friend. NBAD monitors your network in real-time, so when something unusual happens, you’re alerted and can get to the bottom of it.
Bring in a Third Party
You can’t be expected to keep up on the latest threats using an in-house-only approach. Rather, outsource security professionals who make it their life’s work to keep up on the latest threats and fight them with top-notch cyber security tools and methods.
At Computer Security Solutions, we work with clients in need of better security. We start by understanding their business, their data and their environment, and we can do the same for you. Contact us and let’s talk about requirements before we nail down the right solution for you.